Cimex lectularius - Another example of australian wildlife

I met these little guys during my last night in Perth, though I didn't know then and I actually never really saw them. I just felt their bites all over my body and thought I'd had the room full of mosquitos with a certain inclination for my blood. I started to wonder when the bites began to itch more than normal mossie bites would itch. I couldn't help scratching and after three days the skin around the bites inflamed and I sprayed them with an cooling spray which left some kind of white stench everywhere. I anthropomorphized the bites, considering them very clever and mean with their sophisticated system of changing itching shifts. Once one area stopped to itch the next would start, and so on. Still thinking of them as mossie stings, I figured that I might have an allergic reaction. Then on the forth day, I got new bites during the day without any mosquitos in sight. I started to get suspicious and I would have sought a doctor's advice, if I wouldn't have been going to the Kangaroo Island Tour the next day. So I just took a pill to stop any supposed allergic reaction. The itching stopped and the swelling abated. Finally two nice Dutch girls that where with me on the tour enlightened me. When they saw my bites they asked what it was and as I told them that I thought it was mossie bites but wasn't so sure anymore, they told me the story about bed bugs. Bad bed bugs indeed. They'd had an encounter with this species a few weeks before and as me they didn't know what it was till they sought help in a pharmacy. They told me that I should wash all my clothes very hot, or put them in a black plastic bag and put it in the sun for some hours to kill the eggs. Bed bugs normally hide in bedclothes, mattresses or even wooden bed and come out during the night to suck blood. They can survive up to 18 months without food.
Comments